Acid Rain Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Temp Servers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kraellin
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

ok, nobody likes temp servers, but, since we dont have a perm one right now, it might be wroth trying out. i've actually put one up a couple times in the last week seeing if i could draw any AR folks in, but so far, i've seen no one.

anyone can run a temp server if you can play the game. just pick 'host online' instead of the normal item to show servers and set the thing up however you want it.

the ones i've set up a couple times said {AR} Temp Server, with the AR colors.

now, i cant keep a perm one up currently, even though i have a static ip address. i just dont have quite enough bandwidth, running only about 3 mbs on the down and quite a bit less on the up. and, it's the up that is needed mostly.

but, i can run a temp server for a couple hours a day if anyone's interested. and maybe someone else could also, maybe at a different time of day, at least till we get a perm back up.
Back to top Go down
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 pm

temp serverS?

how does that work then
Back to top Go down
ranger1
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
ranger1

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-07-13

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:53 pm

i got a loaded sytem i am sure the computer wouldnt have a problem running as a server but i have a 5mb down and a 1mb up it doesnt have a limit on data amount as much as i want to use so i dont know if the bandwidth is high enough but the system sits idle all day while i am at work so if you guys want to try this out i could put it on and you can give it a wirl
Back to top Go down
{AR}Falkoner
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
{AR}Falkoner

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Temp servers should work fine assuming you don't set them for more then 20 people or so. A static IP would be helpful. The basic setup isn't bad. It's the darn map rotations setup and the related map downloads which are the bugger.
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 3:19 am

Setting it up isn't a too big problem. ET is pretty much a nondemanding game, and servers in general don't need much computer speed.

An ET server would eat about:
256MB RAM optimal
about 12MHz of processor (pretty bad measurement unit but whatever) per player
about 5 to 25kB/s of bandwidth per player, depending on server and players settings

Running ET at home would be pretty much OK but the bandwidth is the issue number one.

If you have 1mbps upload that means 128kB/s which is enough for 5 players on high settings or 25 players on modem settings (/rate 5000). In real those 5 are more realistinc cause your provider will probably not guarantee you'll get those 128kB/s but rather make sure you don't ever get more :/
Back to top Go down
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 am

wel maybe its wortth to try out
Back to top Go down
ranger1
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
ranger1

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 6:53 pm

well cpu adn ram are not a problem than but i do need to open ports on my router for it to work so does anybody know which ones it uses by default i wouldnt actually mind tryin it out
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 pm

27960 by default.
Back to top Go down
ranger1
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
ranger1

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:39 pm

thankyou mz you are a scholar and a big spammer j/k thanks
Back to top Go down
Kraellin
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:40 pm

ok, been trying this out a couple more times. here's some additional data for all you if you want to try this out yourself.

1. there are two basic types of servers, dedicated and localhost.

2. what most everyone is playing on is dedicated. these are generally up and running all the time. they'll run on windows or linux and maybe some other systems. these also ONLY run from a console. you CANNOT join the game to play from the console. it is command line driven only. you can play on your own console game but you'd need a lan or router system to do it. you'd run the dedicated and then from a completely different machine, log into the game from the normal 'play online' access.

3. localhost servers are generally temporary and most folks dont play on these due to a HUGE advantage from the localhost. the host CAN join his own game in this one. you are both an admin and a player. the reason other folks wont like this is that your ping as host is 0. nonetheless, this does work to host. and, if i recall correctly, you, as the localhost and player can access all the console items by using the 'referee' in the options. using this localhost system is a good way to get used to using the console commands and what they do.

4. whether using dedicated or localhost, you will also have access to extra console commands like g_gravity and g_speed. those commands allow one to change the gravity in the game and the speed at which players can move. there are quite a few other commands available in command mode also, but i dont currently have the list of all these.

5. i have run a dedicated before. i have three computers and had two of them set up in a Lan through a router. i ran the dedicated on my older machine, which was a win98 machine and ran another copy of ET on my newere XP machine. but, that was before my XP machine burned out and i havent put the Lan back up since.

6. it is best to have a fixed or static IP number if you're going to host. a static ip is simply your address on the internet is always the same. this means that when you host, folks can always use the same ip number to find you. otherwise, they're going to have to go through 256 ip numbers to find your individual one on a given domain.

7. i have a fixed ip number on dsl 6.0 isp. i could host a server but only for short periods, as in, when i'm playing ET myself. but, since this varies during the time of day, i can really only offer a temporary fix.

if you guys are interested in at least a temp server, decide on a time of day when we could all meet and post it here. i'm generally available for this from about 1:30 p.m. cst (-6 gmt) to about 4 or 5 p.m. so, if this interests anyone, post it up.

also, i would only be available to run a localhost at this time. i dont have my LAN set up. so, if i played also, i'd have something of an advantage with 0 ping. yeah, i cheat Smile

also, if we do do this, or if you want to check if someone else is looking for AR servers, make sure you look down...WAY down in the number of players list, like at 0 or 1 players currently playing and turn off any 'dont show games with 0 players' Smile
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Kraellin wrote:
you can play on your own console game but you'd need a lan or router system to do it. you'd run the dedicated and then from a completely different machine, log into the game from the normal 'play online' access.

I don't see why you'd do that, you can join the server you're running on the same computer. You just need to have two copies of ET (which you would anyways if hosting a dedicated server) and need to make sure the server starts up before the client does, otherwise the client will block the default port and the server will then run on 27961, without telling you in bold red letters.

Kraellin wrote:
if i recall correctly, you, as the localhost and player can access all the console items by using the 'referee' in the options.
In this case, your game console is also server console, you have access not only to referee but also to all console commands (without need to use /rcon, just type the command).

Kraellin wrote:
4. whether using dedicated or localhost, you will also have access to extra console commands like g_gravity and g_speed. those commands allow one to change the gravity in the game and the speed at which players can move. there are quite a few other commands available in command mode also, but i dont currently have the list of all these.
Yes, about two or three hundred more commands, depending on mod of the server. Complete lists of mod's commands and cvars are to be found on mod homesites.

Kraellin wrote:
6. it is best to have a fixed or static IP number if you're going to host. a static ip is simply your address on the internet is always the same. this means that when you host, folks can always use the same ip number to find you. otherwise, they're going to have to go through 256 ip numbers to find your individual one on a given domain.
How did you come to conclusion that the dynamic IP has to be one of the 256 numbers? My dynamic IP can be one of the about 40000 IPs my ISP uses.
Back to top Go down
Kraellin
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Quote :
I don't see why you'd do that, you can join the server you're running on the same computer. You just need to have two copies of ET (which you would anyways if hosting a dedicated server) and need to make sure the server starts up before the client does, otherwise the client will block the default port and the server will then run on 27961, without telling you in bold red letters.

cool. that was just the way i did it back when i had my Lan.

Quote :
How did you come to conclusion that the dynamic IP has to be one of the 256 numbers? My dynamic IP can be one of the about 40000 IPs my ISP uses.

i dont know, zeman. that may be old style before the expansion of the ip numbers. then again, i might just have misunderstood something. the point is, dynamic changes. static doesnt.

but, it's somewhat moot now anyways, with eagle having a new dedicated server up Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Temp Servers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temp Servers   Temp Servers Empty

Back to top Go down

Temp Servers
Page 1 of 1