Acid Rain Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information

Go down 
+3
Roman_Pope
Major Zeman
{AR}Ghost
7 posters
AuthorMessage
{AR}Ghost
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}Ghost

Number of posts : 17
Location : Parked behind you in a van with an attack dog oiling my rifle smirking.
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information Empty
PostSubject: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 2:51 am

More and more I find myself in remote locations, with my digital tech and until I find a cheap way of hooking my laptop into a cell (working on it) I have no way to communicate with the world.
Not that thats a bad thing watching the sun and moon dance has brought me peace.

Anyway I digress.
I have a power cell that I will be using to power my electric blanket's and the light in my tent.
(i plan on spending the winter if alone, in the most remote places I can find wile driving in the cities) ok ok I know I went off on a tangent again but having no one to talk to ect for long periods of time will do that to a life form heh.

What I am looking into is a portable data dump unit, Im talking like a terribite or so.
I plan on mounting it in my trunk so I can back my car up to my tent and wire the car to the tent via the power cell and run another line from the trunk to the tent that will be my data storage.
giving me the ability to wake up in the woods somewhere and drive to my house shower shave ect linking my data to the house and setting the downloads and then go to work and when I get off work pick up my data and drive to the rock I chose to sleep under that night to watch the show I missed by living mainly off the grid and meditating.

Ive looked at wallmart and its like 120 bucks for a terribite I have power via the power station ive rigged up but its got to be an external of some sort and able to take a punch some of the roads I travel on I actually skip my car across mud holes and others well lets just say.. tonka tuff.

any one actually read all that?
im open to suggections
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 am

No HW expert here, but -

the high capacity and high performance external drives are usually powered from electrical outlet. So it might be easier to go for a USB-powered one, they're usually a bit slower but I believe you can get 512GB USB powered ones already, and you can definitely get 256 and 320GB ones powered from USB.

Most if not all of the manufacturers understand external drives won't be handled very nicely, so they try to make the drives a bit shock-proof...the question is if thats good enough for you.

If not then it's a SSD (solid state disc) - based on flash memory. But they're much more expensive - so if you dont intend to keep precious data on there you might be better risking the ordinary disc.
Back to top Go down
{AR}Ghost
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}Ghost

Location : Parked behind you in a van with an attack dog oiling my rifle smirking.

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 3:26 am

humm with sevral small ones I could drop them into my laptop bag..
the power unit i have is portable also so the drain on the laptop will be null.
ill see what the prices are
tx
Back to top Go down
Roman_Pope

Roman_Pope

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 7:14 am

Wait... how cold will it be? What about the humidity/frost/montain dew?
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 7:54 am

You see? That's what we have engineers for Smile

Completely forgot mountains over in US weren't the hills over here.
Back to top Go down
{AR}Ghost
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 pm

sometimes its wet sometimes its dry sometimes hot and sometimes cold.
there is never anyway to know what to expect from the mountians.

you can find spots that you cant breathe from heat and climb an hour or so up hill to find yourself shivering from the cold winds.
Back to top Go down
Leafs420

Leafs420

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:54 pm

Hey Davester,i reccomend moving to a city,with hot chicks, then you can begin a whole new cycle of misery like the rest of us,,lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wickedkick1
bilbo
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
bilbo

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 5:51 pm

The largest USB powered harddrive (2.5 inch HDD) I've seen in shops is 500 GB ...

There are 1 TB or even 2 TB (contains two disks internally) USB drives out there, but these need external power supply (these are 3.5 inch drives, basically "ordinary" desktop drives in a box with USB cable Smile ...

The 500 GB USB drive should cost somewhere around $200, perhaps somewhat less ( I have no idea how big/small are electronics prices at place where you live, but in US it is generally cheaper than in Europe ... so maybe less)
Back to top Go down
http://en.petricek.net
tenacious_b

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 3:53 pm

laptop hard drives are all that you can power over usb and 500 GB is the max as stated.

If your using windows you can use the briefcase functionality to sync folders although there is probably better software out there.

Western digital i think has some pretty nifty drives that consume less power by not always spinning at top speed.

As far as using a cell for internet bluetooth and treat it as a modem
Back to top Go down
{AR}SOCKS
Friend of the Clan
Friend of the Clan
{AR}SOCKS

Number of posts : 173
Title : Kiss my sock!
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 am

Hi Ghost I readed your post just..Im happy to hear that you are still alive..I miss you my old friend XD

your friend Socksie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information   Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information Empty

Back to top Go down

Portable data dump. need imput suggestions any information
Page 1 of 1