Acid Rain Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

is negro a racial slur?

Go down 
+13
Kraellin
{AR}NOCOMMERCE
Roman_Pope
PtitGhost
Yggdrasil
snowkevke
Major Zeman
wilk101
{AR}SaKre
boogie
EV3RY
Ninjadeer
{AR}Warno
17 posters

is negro a racial slur?
yes
is negro a racial slur? I_vote_lcap18%is negro a racial slur? I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
no
is negro a racial slur? I_vote_lcap23%is negro a racial slur? I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 5 ]
sometimes
is negro a racial slur? I_vote_lcap59%is negro a racial slur? I_vote_rcap
 59% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2008-07-06

is negro a racial slur? Empty
PostSubject: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 10:55 am

is negro a racial slur?
Back to top Go down
Ninjadeer
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 am

I voted "No" because where i live it's not.
But i should have voted "Sometimes" because when you are in a fight with them or something and say negro it is very offensive.
Back to top Go down
EV3RY
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
EV3RY

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 11:11 am

Wiki explanation of Negro
Back to top Go down
boogie

Number of posts : 400

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 am

if it is a friend and he/she has nothing against it ...think its ok

but if u dont know the person i think its not ok cause u should respect all person and some of them dont like it if u call him/her negro guy or something like that
Back to top Go down
{AR}SaKre
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}SaKre

Number of posts : 678

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 11:28 am

Why do you ask?
Back to top Go down
Ninjadeer
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 12:01 pm

{AR}SaKre wrote:
Why do you ask?

The dutch speaking persons had a discussion on it today at the server Smile
Back to top Go down
wilk101
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
wilk101

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 1:19 pm

as where i live Negro is not there is another word simliar to it which I will not say that IS very racist.
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Unfortunately, some consider it offensive. Same for the word wilk so carefully didn't mention.

I ran into the very same thing in the old forums in the "Movie quotes" topic - for some strange reason some people got offended by a quote from Pulp Fiction relating to a sign in one chracter's front yard.
Back to top Go down
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Pulp Fiction is got to be one of the best movies ever made =)

edit:

Use in language

In practice, its use and meaning are heavily dependent on context.[1] Presently, the word nigga is used more liberally among younger members[2] of all races and ethnicities in the United States, although its use by persons not of African descent is still widely viewed as unacceptable and hostile, even when used without intentional prejudice.

i go for option 2 Smile

Last edited by {AR}Warno on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
{AR}SaKre
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}SaKre

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Well I think a word is 'bad' whenever you think of using it a question pops into your head: 'is this right?', 'is there a different word I could use', etc.

Yet 'bad'words should be usable in the right context. Like for instance MZ's example of a topic purely devoted to movie quotes (and still this was not the case, people tripped and fell smackdab on their faces)
Back to top Go down
snowkevke
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm

i think it is bad sometimes.

and it depends on how u say it.
Back to top Go down
Yggdrasil
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
Yggdrasil

Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 3:39 pm

snowkevke wrote:
i think it is bad sometimes.

and it depends on how u say it.
ditto
Back to top Go down
PtitGhost

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-07

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

I don't really get the point of this :s

Why do "we" call black-skinned people as "Negro"?! What about white-skinned ?!etc..!
I mean I won't like to be called : The Yellow, The Red, The White...Etc
what about you ?
Ofc it's true to call him "Negro"/"Black" if the person is "black", but don't "we" have any more criterions?
It is like a "passive" discrimation for me.

just my 2cent's from what I've could live til now
Back to top Go down
Roman_Pope

Roman_Pope

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:43 am

I agree with Ptit on every point. I actually have a chinese friend and he often says, you white people... it gets a bit annoying... but then, he said that there is nothing more racist then chinese peopl, especiallu old ones.
Back to top Go down
Ninjadeer
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:12 am

Roman_Pope wrote:
I agree with Ptit on every point. I actually have a chinese friend and he often says, you white people... it gets a bit annoying... but then, he said that there is nothing more racist then chinese peopl, especiallu old ones.

True. Asia persons are very racist.
Especially on MMORPG's where they think they are the best with their "azn"names.
Back to top Go down
{AR}NOCOMMERCE
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader

Number of posts : 761

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:33 am

i had the same type of discussion with Ghost in the past about the word "boy", now we all know what it means, and it's used in movies and such. But the word boy also referred to slaves and slavery. A boy was a slave. Boy, get my shoes. Boy, do the dishes.

So words can have different meanings.

I know about the word nigger, nigga, nigro, black people, black, .... there are negative words and positve words amongst it. If I'm correct one of the racist words in the past was used by the afro-americans as a positive word, meaning we are one people. But only the afro-american people were allowed to use it. If a white man spoke out the words it was racism.

So you see, words and meanings, sometimes it's not clear what is ment. If you're doubting about a certain word, don't use it. Not in this multicultural community.
Back to top Go down
{AR}SaKre
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}SaKre

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 am

Are they not, in general, the best?Smile Gotta give them that haha...
EDIT: To ninja's comment.
Back to top Go down
{AR}SaKre
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}SaKre

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 am

{AR}NOCOMMERCE wrote:

So you see, words and meanings, sometimes it's not clear what is ment. If you're doubting about a certain word, don't use it. Not in this multicultural community.

The doubt alone should prevent you from using what your first thought was. Word. Errr..well in my own defense, since Eminem I can use 'word' without feeling stupid. Doesn't mean that I don't but..oh well never mind.
Back to top Go down
Ninjadeer
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 10:00 am

{AR}SaKre wrote:
Are they not, in general, the best?Smile Gotta give them that haha...
EDIT: To ninja's comment.

In what? Destroying the world with their industry?
Back to top Go down
{AR}SaKre
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}SaKre

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 10:38 am

Err..no, it was a direct reply: they dominate the MMORPG scene, wich is no more then a fact.

Are they destroying the world?? Better think twice before answering that.
Back to top Go down
Ninjadeer
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 10:43 am

{AR}SaKre wrote:
Err..no, it was a direct reply: they dominate the MMORPG scene, wich is no more then a fact.

Are they destroying the world?? Better think twice before answering that.

I have no idea actually if they destroy the world..
Just i checked a week long newspapers and always something about chinese industry and children working.
Yes they do dominate te MMORPG scene but to get cocky about it..
Its not good if you no life at a game.
Back to top Go down
{AR}SaKre
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}SaKre

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 11:05 am

China does not represent the whole of Asia.
Anyways, from your comment I thought that it was also your opinion not just a random statement.
Back to top Go down
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:29 pm

thanks for all your comments , it good that people do think about this
Back to top Go down
Ninjadeer
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:43 pm

{AR}SaKre wrote:
China does not represent the whole of Asia.
Anyways, from your comment I thought that it was also your opinion not just a random statement.

It also is my opinion btw..
I've met some chinese people myself and they were cocky.
So yeah.Razz

Anyways this is not about chinese people.
Back to top Go down
Kraellin
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:47 pm

as far as i can tell, 'negro' is still the dictionary word for the black, african-american race. in common use in the united states, however, i certainly wouldnt use it in every day speech. currently, 'black' or 'african-american' seems to be what's acceptable.

but, whatever it is, or is going to be, i certainly wish someone would make it official so we can quit dancing around the terminology!
Back to top Go down
PtitGhost

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-07

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Kraellin wrote:
african-american race.
Shocked

aww...I'm losing my words...

Edit : Hope I misunderstand the word
Back to top Go down
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm

wel yeah races don't excist....
Back to top Go down
{AR}NOCOMMERCE
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader

Number of posts : 761

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:13 pm

{AR}Warno wrote:
wel yeah races don't excist....

they do exist, and there are differences between races, there is no need to give it other names. There are yellow people, black people, white people. They all have different body specifications (like for example yellow people don't have chest hair)

important is that in AR we don't make differences. You can be black, white, red, blue, green, yellow of skin, you won't get treated differently.
If you are a man or a woman, it's not a reason to be treated differently.
If you are catholic, jew, muslim, non believer or wathever, you are still welcome here.
Listening to rap music, hardcore, metal or britney spears, you are all welcome.

All we ask is that within AR you treat all people equally, this is your family, these people are your friends.
What you think or say in your free time, that's your own choice. But becomming member of this clan implies to agree to the rules.

I don't know if negro is okay or not, perhaps it has different meaning in every country. My advise: don't use the word. Or ask the person himself. What is okay to use, or what not.
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Actually, listening to Britney Spears is a bannable offense here.

Anyone against this new rule?
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Noone? Good.
Back to top Go down
Major Zeman
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Acid Rain Clan Leader
Major Zeman

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Okay and now seriously.

One thing that bothers me a lot about this whole political correctness is that the ultimate goal seems to be to ban all words that could be used to point at the difference between the races, the reasoning being that if you can't use words to distinguish between a black and a white person, you won't be able to point a finger on the difference either and thus you won't be able to discriminate.

1984 anyone?
Back to top Go down
{AR}GoldF!nger
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}GoldF!nger

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:12 pm

gorge orwell?
Back to top Go down
RR=IMM=
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:54 pm

Hawaii is weird in the fact that we can be "racist" as far as jokes and teasing each others cultures but it's ok. We tease all races and don't get mad cause it's all in fun and no one gets offended. In fact most of the population is a mix of different races so we're mostly teasing ourselves.

With that said, I realize the server isn't Hawaii, lol.

If someone comes in and says "wassup my nga, hows life?" you gonna kick him? What if he's BLACK and talks like that? It's not so much racist but his culture. Do we have people comply to the "server's culture" in order to play there?
Back to top Go down
{AR}GoldF!nger
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
{AR}GoldF!nger

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:05 pm

i think its the way u say it!!
Back to top Go down
{AR}johnny5

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:40 pm

RR=IMM= wrote:
Hawaii is weird in the fact that we can be "racist" as far as jokes and teasing each others cultures but it's ok. We tease all races and don't get mad cause it's all in fun and no one gets offended. In fact most of the population is a mix of different races so we're mostly teasing ourselves.

If someone comes in and says "wassup my nga, hows life?" you gonna kick him? What if he's BLACK and talks like that? It's not so much racist but his culture. Do we have people comply to the "server's culture" in order to play there?
<------Howlie lol (*sp)
Back to top Go down
{AR}Warno
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 5:22 am

Major Zeman wrote:
Okay and now seriously.

One thing that bothers me a lot about this whole political correctness is that the ultimate goal seems to be to ban all words that could be used to point at the difference between the races, the reasoning being that if you can't use words to distinguish between a black and a white person, you won't be able to point a finger on the difference either and thus you won't be able to discriminate.

1984 anyone?

wel i didnt wanted to get super serious about it:D

we were just haveing a discussion about it in the server, if a person uses the word in a normal sentence i may frown at it but i wont *ban* the word from the server:)

didnt wanted to take it this far:P
Back to top Go down
RR=IMM=
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 12:56 pm

{AR}johnny5 wrote:
RR=IMM= wrote:

<------Howlie lol (*sp)

Haole, lol.
Back to top Go down
Kamikaze
Acid Rain Clan Member
Acid Rain Clan Member
Kamikaze

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-03

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 2:08 pm

PtitGhost wrote:
I don't really get the point of this :s

Why do "we" call black-skinned people as "Negro"?! What about white-skinned ?!etc..!
I mean I won't like to be called : The Yellow, The Red, The White...Etc
what about you ?
Ofc it's true to call him "Negro"/"Black" if the person is "black", but don't "we" have any more criterions?
It is like a "passive" discrimation for me.

just my 2cent's from what I've could live til now
Because the word "Black" is an umbrella term covering all people of Sub-Saharan African decent. From African-Americans, to British-Africans, Jamaicans, etc. Just like how "White" is used as an umbrella term for people of European decent. And it's offensive when you call a Native American "Redskin" or an Asian "Yellow".

And personally, I prefer to be called "Black". When someone calls me African-American to my face it sounds like they're trying way too hard to be politically correct.

Now as for whether or not the word "Negro" (By the way, at one point it was the PC term for Black people, now it's very very very rarely used. The only people who still use it are older people) is offensive... It really depends. Generally it's not considered as bad as the word "Nigger" (I think I'm overusing quotation marks) but it still has some negative connotations attached to it. And it also depends on context. "Negro, please." would generally just raise a few eyebrows (And maybe get a few laughs, depending on who's using it), while "Hey have you met the that new Negro kid that just joined?" would probably get you into trouble. (Especially if said person was in earshot).

But as a general rule for everybody, I'd advise against using it. Just because I would crack up if one of you guys said "Negro, please.", doesn't mean thats someone else wouldn't be offended by it.

Huh. I think this is the longest post I've ever made here...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is negro a racial slur?   is negro a racial slur? Empty

Back to top Go down

is negro a racial slur?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Acid Rain Clan :: General :: General-
Jump to: